Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Zax Tavern in Berkeley

A couple of weeks ago, a coworker told me that Zax at 2826 Telegraph in Berkeley is closing August 25. A couple of the owners are moving on to other endeavours. I was crushed. My coworker and I talked about the fact that there isn't really a comparible restaurant in Berkeley where
excellent food + great wine list + genuinely friendly staff + relative affordability + pleasant decor = one kick ass dining experience

Last night, I picked up my work-weary girlfiend and ended up talking her into going to Zax even though she wasn't hungry. I could tell that all she wanted to do was to go home and get a good ole foot rub by yours truly. The restaurant wasn't overly busy and we were seated right away. I was pleased to see that we had gotten one of my favorite servers.

I knew right away what I was going to order. The risotto with asparagus, snow peas, green spring onions along with a bottle of 2005 Preston old vine zinfandel.
The risotto is very good, but I wouldn't say it is my top menu choice. I wanted to save all my favorite dishes for Saturday, their closing night where 7 of my friends (other Zax loyalists) will be dining. That being said, the risotto was absolutely delicious. The flavoring was perfect and came out just right. It wasn't gloppy or glue-y at all, but was creamy and beautifully peppered with crisp vegetables that lent a nicely textured balance.
My girlfriend got the Local King salmon. It was perfectly cooked and topped with a nice bright, tangy taragon/caper sauce. The piece of fish was on a bed of crisp seasoned new red potatoes and artichokes.
As always, the Preston zin was smooth and very drinkable.

For desert, there really IS only one choice for me. Their mocha pot de creme. Our server told us this was his last night at Zax and wanted to buy us a desert. My girlfriend also got the pot de creme. She ordered some whiskey. too. I had the Knob Creek, but she got something that I hadn't ever heard of, Blanton's. I'd had Knob Creek before and knew what to expect, but when I tasted the Blanton's, it was like a dream. Even the colour of this whiskey was nice. It was a lot lighter,very cheery and bright flavored. The whiskey when paired with the pot de creme was a perfect finish to a super dinner.

Zax isn't exactly eating on the cheap. We walked away with a $98 bill...to tell you the truth though, about half of that was due to the wine and the whiskey.

I'll miss you Zax. See you Saturday.

No comments: